Does it cost to audition?
Yes. There is a $30 non-refundable audition fee.
When are auditions?
We have two Audition days in in early May and one in late August each year. We also accept auditions throughout the year - REGISTER NOW to be scheduled for an audition.
Where are auditions?
In May and August, they are at the Royal Oak First Presbyterian Church - 529 Hendrie Blvd., Royal Oak MI, about 1/2 mile north of the Zoo, 8am-2pm
Once the season begins we conduct limited auditions at our rehearsal location, Royal Oak Middle School, 709 N. Washington Avenue, Royal Oak MI.
What do I DO at the audition?
What kind of music do Detroit MYS Orchestras play?
All kinds! See the Our Music page which lists the music we are playing this season and the music we have played in past seasons. If you’re not familiar with some of those, you can look them up on YouTube.
Hey, I’m in Marching Band or Cross Country and I want to do this too!
No problem! Audition with everyone else and START with Detroit MYS after your season is done. We encourage all wind players to audition in May as our Conductors select the season's music to fit our wind composition over the summer.
How much is tuition?
$375 per student.
Your tuition helps pay for our amazing Conductors, rehearsal space, the music we play, and the acoustically excellent concert halls in which we perform. We have not raised our tuition in 4 years, and we provide more instructional time each week than any other local youth orchestra!
Do you give any scholarships?
DMYS is committed to our community and is able to offer tuition assistance to students with demonstrated financial need. Upon acceptance, students may apply for aid. We hope to welcome each and every student ready for an advanced ensemble experience to our orchestra. See the following application.
When can students enroll?
During the summer, our conductors choose the music to best challenge their students based on their orchestra’s instrument composition and experience level. Our open enrollment deadline allows us to select a challenging and appropriate repertoire.
Open Enrollment ($375):
- Current students (staying in current orchestra or auditioning to move up in May): May 1 - June 15
- New students auditioning in May: after acceptance through June 15
- New students auditioning in August: after acceptance through first rehearsal
- New students auditioning after September 1st: case by case basis
Late enrollment ($375 plus late fees): Any student outside of the above open enrollment may enroll (pending openings) by paying applicable late fees in addition to tuition.
When and where are rehearsals?
We rehearse Saturday mornings at Royal Oak Middle School, starting right after Labor Day and ending in early May. All students arrive at 9:15am to warm up and rehearsal begins promptly at 9:30am.
- Symphony, Concert and String orchestras end at Noon.
- Junior String Orchestra ends at 11:30am.
What is the attendance policy?
Our Conductors want you to be here. Each orchestra is a team and it takes teamwork to make a good sound. Please review our Attendance Policy.
Is there any way to try your orchestra?
There are several ways to see what we are all about!
- Join us at a concert! Contact us (via button below) to find out more.
- Attend rehearsal on one of our Bring a Friend Days. Check out our calendar (drop down from our main menu) to see when they are.
- If you are an Advanced Beginner in grades 2-7 we have a special program where you can try us at no cost for 1 concert cycle. Contact Auditions@Detroitmys.org for more information.